Featured Animator: WOW™ - Eve

WOW™
GoAnimator WOW™ is the October winner of my GoAnimate, Get Featured in TET's Blog contest. WOW has had his account with GoAnimate since May of 2011 and in that time has amassed 357 followers and published 22 animations.

WOW™ chose to feature his animation Eve, saying...

"I chose this particular animation, because this is such a complex idea that I would like to elaborate for you all. First and foremost, Eve is initially (yes, I said initially) a post-apocalyptic story set in an ice age. I would also like to reiterate that this a dramatic story, because I want to develop realistic characters in a realistic way. There’s a lot of dialog here."

Watch WOW™'s animation below and then read about his inspiration and challenges in creating the video.

Eve-Trailer by WOW™ on GoAnimate


Inspiration

You may notice the black and white visuals in the trailer, with a slight touch of colors throughout the trailer. This is loosely inspired by The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. When the story reverts to full color, I want it to be breathtaking similar to when Dorothy enter the Land of Oz. As for the story, it’s directly inspired by an episode of The Twilight Zone called “The Midnight Sun.” It was one of my favorites of Rod Serling, and I recommend anyone to check it out.

Main Challenge

In the trailer, you get a sneak peak of the dialog and camera. I introduced a new version of the over the shoulder camera shot, which is starting to become much more popular on GoAnimate. It’s a very challenging but rewarding camera angle, which involves a Lil Peepz character with circle props (colored the same as the character’s hair) layering almost the entire head, and the correct camera positioning. I started to put an outline to make it feel more part of the animation itself. I want the camera angles to feel as professional as possible, with dialog camera angles leading the way.

You also see in the trailer some interesting lighting techniques. The empty store near the end of the video features lighting that is darker in the back of the store. That means it took approximately eight or more lighting props layered over each store shelf. This is why I prefer designing all of my backgrounds first, because I get interesting ideas like that while I’m finishing my scenes. It also prevents me from rushing, and it gives me an idea on what’s possible and what’s not.


If you've enjoyed WOW™'s work then why not check out more of WOW™'s animations on GoAnimate.

Runner up Featured GoAnimators for the month of October included:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Moho Pro 12 (Anime Studio Pro) - Part 6, Pro Only Videos 7-13

Review: Renderforest 3D Explainer Toolkit - Fast Cloud Animated Video

Hand Drawn 2D Digital Animation - Get Started with These 3 Free Applications