Learning Reallusion's iClone 5: Part 5 - Soft Body Physics

If you're interested in iClone and was wondering how hard it is to learn then that's what this series is about, my experience of learning iClone 5 using Reallusion's Quick Fix Video Tutorials. Click the following links for Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4. If you're just looking to learn iClone then skip this and try the tutorials for yourself as this series is not a how to guide for iClone 5.

The subject of this post is Reallusion's Soft Body Physics Video Tutorial. At just over 3 minutes it's very fast to run through and very easy to follow the steps. In fact there's very little to do other than play around with the physics settings to see how they affect your soft body prop - which in the case of this tutorial is the Canadian Flag.

Draping the Canadian flag over a sphere.

The flag is made up of a detailed wire mesh plane made up of a 64x64 grid that enables it to drape fairly realistically over a sphere. In the animation you watch the flag drop and fall over the sphere.

My version of the flag dropping scene.
I decided to do my own version of the flag dropping demo only instead of a sphere I used a wooden crate. I replaced the flag with a cloth printed with my website background image. Then I put the whole scene in a desert setting.

For an added touch I put my avatar TET character (initially I had iClone Chuck) into the scene with a simple animation of him watching the cloth descend.

I added some cheesy music just so you wouldn't be watching my effort in silence.

Then I realized the final render was so short and quick that I decided to import it into MoviePlus to slow the whole thing down. This added a kind of blurry other worldly effect, that I kind of like, and it slowed my cheesy music down.

Check it out in the video below. It's nothing spectacular but I think my background makes a great table cloth!



There's only two more of these Quick Fix tutorials left with the next being  Rendering Video with Post FX. It's also a fairly short lesson so maybe I'll look at combining it with the last tutorial so I can move on to actually creating something in iClone more worthwhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Moho Pro 12 (Anime Studio Pro) - Part 6, Pro Only Videos 7-13

Review: Renderforest 3D Explainer Toolkit - Fast Cloud Animated Video

Hand Drawn 2D Digital Animation - Get Started with These 3 Free Applications