Cool Froyd, Episode 3: Gardening - Animated Short by TET


My latest animation is the third installment of my Cool Froyd the cat series titled, Gardening.

In this episode Froyd explains how cats garden and recounts a story of some fairly odd gardening practices from TET (i.e. me). Watch the video below then continue on for background information about what inspired the video and detailed highlights from how it was made.




Character Background


How Froyd looks in 3D view.
Cool Froyd is taken from an artwork I painted back in 2009 for my first solo art exhibition. You can see me paint the original artwork in my vlog series, E13: TETs S.A.L.A. Exhibition Journal.

When I first discovered CrazyTalk Animator Pro, Cool Froyd is the first of my own characters I created with it. There's a detailed look at how he was made in this post, Cool Froyd the Cat and Crazy Talk Animator Pro. You can also read about how he is animated in CrazyTalk Animator 2 in this post, Cool Froyd the Cat and Crazy Talk Animator 2 (Pipeline).

Inspiration


The script for this video is actually based on a real cat (who is actually grey but lacks the black stripes and beanie) owned by our neighbors. This cat visits our front yard on a daily basis and hangs around the hedge bush you can see to the right of Froyd, in the video, chasing the birds that come into our yard.

The actual cat that inspired 'Gardening' sitting
next to the same hedge as Froyd.


I thought, what if chasing birds is a cat's idea of 'gardening'? Eradicating a garden pest - well at least from a cat's point of view.

Later in the video Froyd tells the story of me planting a row of hedges, which is something I actually did, recently, along the fence behind Froyd. From having cats as pets in the past, my experience is that, whenever you dig anywhere in the garden, there's a high chance your pet cat will come along and take a quick bathroom break right where you're digging... because that's the only reason anyone digs a hole, right?

If you haven't seen the previous two episodes, then Froyd's coffee reference at the end is homage to those. I think his obsession with coffee is probably going to be a running theme of future episodes.

Bringing the Elements Together


After writing the script the first thing I did was shoot some video footage of the location in my front yard. Froyd's previous video used the real world background of my kitchen so I wanted to continue that theme.

Unfortunately, even though the camera was tripod mounted, I accidentally introduced a little bit of camera shake to the video, playing around with the controls. It's not too bad but I'll remember to just leave the camera alone next time.

All the bird noises and ambient sounds in the video are exactly what was recorded along side the video footage - you can really hear we have a lot of birds in and around our garden.

After that I needed some birds to interact with Froyd. I wanted to get this video done as quickly as possible so, rather than animate something myself, I immediately thought of Garry Pye's Blue Bird prop. If you use CrazyTalk Animator and you don't know Garry's work (where have you been?) then check out his website and buy some of his amazing CTA characters and props.


A New Voice


In past episodes I voiced Cool Froyd myself by adjusting the pitch of my voice slightly higher using Audacity. Although I think I did a reasonable job, I kind of felt the pitch adjustment made Froyd sound a little unnatural.

TimberWolf is an animator I knew from the old GoAnimate, before it went all business. I had been watching some of his Youtube videos, where he voices some of his own characters. I thought his voice could be a good fit for Froyd without any need to digitally alter his recording.

I think TimberWolf has the right delivery. Froyd does sound more natural in comparison to previous episodes.

 Animating Froyd


Animating Froyd in Episode 01.
Froyd is a single angle puppet rig with a semi 3D CTA2 style head. He has full body articulation but, because he is based upon a painting, there's very little body movement he can perform that doesn't look like he just broke a limb. Hence body movements are reduced to very subtle changes to give the sense he's at least breathing.

The head, on the other hand, can be freely puppeted, using the mouse in real time. Since the lip sync is automatic the first pass is simply recording appropriate, puppeted head movements as Froyd speaks.

From there I usually go through several passes of the timeline, key framing various body parts, such as his ears, eyes, beanie and even his whole head movement, until he looks as life like as my skills and patience can make him. With each episode I think I'm getting better at animating him but I will concede he still doesn't move quite as naturally as I'd like.

You can actually modify the lip syncing to make it more accurate than the auto lip sync achieves but I struggle with this on Froyd because his mouth movement isn't particularly natural at certain points. I think I need to work more on how his mouth is rigged so it articulates better. Maybe next episode.

Animating the Birds


Popular posts from this blog

Learning Moho Pro 12 (Anime Studio Pro) - Part 6, Pro Only Videos 7-13

Review: Renderforest 3D Explainer Toolkit - Fast Cloud Animated Video

Hand Drawn 2D Digital Animation - Get Started with These 3 Free Applications