Review: Gunnar Gaming Eyewear - MLG: Phantom Specs

Gunnar MLG: Phantom Specs.
As someone who stares at screens virtually all day I can safely say my vision isn't the best. I'm completely fine reading monitors but I do struggle a little with my mobile phone screen.

So when I heard about Gunnar Computer Eyewear, specs that supposedly reduce eye strain, dryness, glare and increase sharpness and brightness of vision I thought these might be worth a try.

I must admit I ended up with the MLG: Phantom specs because they were the cheapest model I could buy through ebay and have in my hands within a few days. Honestly, I didn't want to spend too much because I was a little skeptical that they would be of great benefit.


Although the Phantom specs are listed as a 'gaming' model, I can't really see any difference between their specifications and those listed as 'computer' models - other than the visual styling and construction. As near as I can tell the lenses have the same specs across the range (unless you order a specific prescription), it's just the size that varies.

The Phantom's specifications are as follows:

lens width: 57 mm | nose: 16 mm | front width: 133 mm |
temple: 132 mm | weight: 25 grams (without packaging)
TYPE:Gaming
FIT:Medium
MATERIAL:Stainless Steel
FILTERS:Adjustable nose pads, Asian fit, Headset compatible, Interchangable temples
MODEL: Phantom-Specs

I'm not going into the detail about how the glasses work. There is a detailed explanation, including several videos you can check out on Gunnar's How They Work page. If you're even thinking about getting specs like these you'll want to visit that page.

Most of my time staring at screens is spent creating animations, writing, drawing, photo editing etc. along with social media and email too. I can't say I've experienced headaches but I do often get sore eyes by the end of the day. As I mentioned my ability to read small text right in front of me, such as books and mobile phone screens can be a little difficult. My long distance vision is fine. I can read small print that's clear across the room.

Me wearing my
Gunnar Phantom Specs.
I've had my Phantom's for just over two weeks now and have used them whenever I'm sitting at my desk for long sessions in front of my two LCD monitors.

I can definitely say they do make the screens appear to be brighter and sharper. Text in particular looks sharper as a result of the lenses slight magnification.

I guess it's the yellow tint that makes things look brighter - albeit with a slight yellow tint, which isn't an issue unless working with color is an essential part of your job.

The specs are supposed to filter out the harmful blue and UV light emitted by screens that can be damaging to the eyes (so they say). Since everything looks more yellow and higher contrast I guess they must be doing that.

The only thing I really can't state for a fact is whether the glasses reduce eye dryness. I didn't feel my eyes were getting particularly dried out before I started wearing the glasses and I can't say they feel any different now.

I can't say they've reduced my eye soreness. In fact my eyes get a little sore for a short while after I first put on the glasses for the day. However this tends to go away as my eyes adjust.

One thing I've read in user reviews is that the glasses have reduced headaches from eye strain (presumably?). Since I wasn't really getting headaches I can't vouch for this. However I've also read in reviews that people like to wear these things all day, even when they're not at their computers. Personally I would not recommend that.

I've found they're very good while I'm staring at a computer screen but once I start looking around, using my long range vision, my eyes have to adjust, and this can cause minor headaches. I suspect that would be a good way to ruin my long range vision too.

To sum up. If you're staring at computer screens for hours at a time computer glasses like Gunnar's may be helpful. For me, I feel they are of some benefit when I'm sitting at my work station but I'll take them off whenever I'm on a break or finished for the day. I do not recommend wearing them all the time.

They won't actually correct faulty vision but they will help you to focus on smaller text within your short range vision much easier (at least that's what I've found) if that's a problem for you.

If you genuinely are struggling with your vision you may want to consider prescription lenses for your Gunnar glasses. It'll definitely cost you though.

I'm going to persevere with my pair for now as I find they are of some benefit. It really comes down to just trying them to see if they're right for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Reallusion's iClone 5: Part 3 - Customizing Motion and Instant Animation

Learning Moho Pro 12 (Anime Studio Pro) - Part 11, New Features V12 Debut and Pro Videos 1-8

Review: Storyboarder, Free Storyboarding Software by Wonder Unit