Review: Motion Den - DIY Video Intros and Slideshows

Motion Den claims to be the world's simplest video maker of intros and slideshow style animated videos. I needed an animated slide show to promote my etourist Skateboards online store, which I planned to make myself with one of the many video editing applications I have, but, after being directed to Motion Den by a spammy, completely unrelated comment on this very blog (which I've since deleted), I thought I'll give them a try.

The site is free to sign up and make videos with. Any published videos will have the Motion Den watermark. If you wish to remove this you can purchase individual videos or sign up for one of their plans, which give you a certain amount of credits each month to purchase videos with. Note that you can't actually do anything with a published free video other than view it in your account. There are no share options and you can't download it (making the watermark almost pointless).



A selection of Motion Den's Templates.
Motion Den is a template based system, meaning you choose a template, substitute your own photos and text, and you're good to go, instant, professional looking animated video. Nothing wrong with that at all. It's a good, time saving option if you can find a template that suits your needs.

At the time I signed up there were just five slideshow templates, most with music attached to creative commons licenses. Not a big issue but might be if you intend using the site for commercial projects. Quite by chance, the template I liked featured music that was licensed for commercial use.

Using Motion Den's video design is a breeze. Each editable component is clearly labeled. Just click on the element to add text or to select and/or upload a photo. Photos can be cropped to fit the template - so you don't need to do this before hand.

Motion Den's Studio. Expect to see the
'Saving Image' dialogue a lot!

One thing Motion Den isn't, is quick. At least not if you're uploading photos at the standard resolution of your typical phone camera. The actual upload seems fairly quick but, once you select the image for your project it takes much longer for the image to be saved into it (in most cases on my project, noticeably longer than the actual uploads - I wrote most of this review during the many wait times!).

The site also claims to save you more time for doing the things you love but it took me the best part of three hours to edit 23 scenes in my template. That seemed overly long compared to other solutions I've come across.

There also doesn't seem to be any way to preview your video properly to see how it's going. Then, once you hit 'Make Video', you're warned that you won't be able to make changes to the project anymore.

Personally I think the whole thing could be improved if you could bulk upload all your photos in the order you want them to appear, then just run through the template and crop, position or swap photos around. I found it frustrating constantly waiting on images to be saved into the project. (If I wasn't writing this review I would probably have given it away).

Below is the only video I've successfully processed and published to date (more on that in the footnote below). It's not the video I describe editing above, it's a one image, one text box (that had a character limit too small for my etouristskateboards.com URL) logo splash.

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Moho Pro 12 (Anime Studio Pro) - Part 6, Pro Only Videos 7-13

Review: Renderforest 3D Explainer Toolkit - Fast Cloud Animated Video

Hand Drawn 2D Digital Animation - Get Started with These 3 Free Applications